- 615-322-6397 Email
- Vanderbilt University to host Clinton Global Initiative University annual meeting in 2023
- Four with a ‘Dore: Rhylee Tucker
- Noam Chomsky’s biographer, VU Professor Robert Barsky, interviewed about his work
- Project Safe to provide programming in recognition of Sexual Assault Awareness Month throughout April
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Susan R. Wente has appointed a seven-member faculty committee to synthesize ideas submitted by each school and college into a set of recommendations for significant new investments in graduate education and research at Vanderbilt. Chancellor Nicholas S. Zeppos announced plans for the investment during his fall address to assembled faculty on Aug. 25.
“The overarching goal is to truly propel the university to further excellence,” Wente said. “The Graduate Education and Research Endowment Committee will view its work from the perspective of the entire university’s highest priorities, with each member bringing different and broad perspectives to the charge.”
The committee will work with Wente to analyze the reports submitted by each school and college as a starting point and from them generate overarching priorities and strategic actions. The committee will focus on actions or strategies that will have the most impact on Vanderbilt 10 years from now, ensure accountability by all stakeholders, and support the Academic Strategic Plan as well as efforts in advancing equity, diversity and inclusion. In addition, the recommendations will aim to leverage the role of the Graduate School and the need for continued individual school, college or program input.
Wente will submit a report to the chancellor later this spring.
Members of the Graduate Education and Research Endowment Committee are:
- Houston Baker, Distinguished University Professor and professor of English, College of Arts and Science
- Cindy Kam, William R. Kenan, Jr. Chair, professor of political science, College of Arts and Science
- Christopher Loss, Chancellor Faculty Fellow, associate professor of public policy and higher education, Peabody College of education and human development
- Antonis Rokas, Cornelius Vanderbilt Chair, professor of biological sciences, College of Arts and Science
- Choon-Leong Seow, Distinguished Professor of Hebrew Bible and Vanderbilt, Buffington, Cupples Professor of Divinity, Divinity School
- Mark Wallace, Louise B. McGavock Chair, professor of hearing and speech sciences, School of Medicine; Dean, Graduate School
- Sharon Weiss, Chancellor Faculty Fellow, professor of electrical engineering, School of Engineering