Federal education official, Mayor Karl Dean to tour Susan Gray School Sept. 11by Joan Brasher Sep. 10, 2014, 8:00 AM
Yudin is acting assistant secretary for the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, U.S. Department of Education.
Nashville Mayor Karl Dean will participate in the visit. [Note: Duncan will not visit Vanderbilt.]
Following will be a roundtable discussion with parents, teachers and community leaders who will share their personal experiences with such programs.
The roundtable will be moderated by Elise McMillian, co-director of the Vanderbilt Kennedy Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities and director of community outreach, Vanderbilt Kennedy Center.
Others participating in the day’s events include:
- Camilla P. Benbow, Patricia and Rodes Hart Dean of Education and Human Development at Peabody College
- Cynthia Croom, executive director, Metro Action Commission
- Joey Hassell, assistant commissioner, special populations, Tennessee Department of Education
- Mary Louise Hemmeter, faculty co-director of the Susan Gray School professor of special education at Peabody and a Vanderbilt Kennedy Center investigator
- Ann Kaiser, Susan W. Gray Professor of Education and Human Development at Peabody and a Vanderbilt Kennedy Center investigator
- Colleen Thomas, exceptional education coordinator for Metro Nashville Public Schools
Members of the press are welcome to attend the tour and roundtable. Yudin will be available for questions at the media availability immediately following the roundtable. Mult box will be provided.
- WHO: U.S. Department of Education’s Michael Yudin
- WHAT: Tour of Susan Gray School, roundtable and media availability
- WHEN: Thursday, Sept. 11
8:30 a.m. Welcome (Fireside Reading Room, Peabody Library)
8:55 a.m. Walk to Susan Gray School for tour
10:00 a.m. Roundtable (Fireside Reading Room, Peabody Library)
11:15 a.m. Concluding remarks
11:35 a.m. Media availability with Michael Yudin
12:05 p.m. End
- WHERE: Vanderbilt Peabody College
RSVP by contacting Joan Brasher at (615) 322-NEWS or firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot and receive parking instructions and directions.