Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Susan R. Wente has appointed a committee to conduct a national search for the next dean of the School of Nursing. The committee includes a Board of Trust member, two deans, several faculty members, alumni, Vanderbilt University Medical Center colleagues and current students. Larry Marnett, dean of Basic Sciences for the School of Medicine and Mary Geddes Stahlman Chair in Cancer Research, will serve as the committee chair.
“The committee will be charged with finding a leader to build off of the incredibly strong foundation provided by Dean Linda Norman,” Wente said. “They will be seeking an outstanding candidate who will uphold the spirit of continual reinvention that keeps us at the cutting edge of educating nursing leaders, and who will continue to advance the art and science of nursing in academics, faculty practice, research and informatics.”
Norman, current dean of the School of Nursing and the Valere Potter Menefee Professor of Nursing, announced last week that she will step down from the position June 30, 2021. A transformational leader, Norman has served as dean since 2013 and spent nearly 30 years in various academic and administrative roles at Vanderbilt.
Members of the School of Nursing Dean Search Committee are:
- Larry Marnett (chair), dean of Basic Sciences, Mary Geddes Stahlman Chair in Cancer Research and University Professor of Biochemistry and Chemistry
- Ronald Alvarez, Betty and Lonnie S. Burnett Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Camilla Benbow, Patricia and Rodes Hart Dean of Education and Human Development at Vanderbilt Peabody College and professor of psychology
- Donald Brady, senior associate dean for health sciences education, executive vice president for educational affairs at VUMC and professor of medicine
- Edward Fischer, Cornelius Vanderbilt Chair, professor of anthropology and director of the Center for Latin American Studies
- Michele Hasselblad, vice president of adult ambulatory nursing at VUMC
- Alexis Huckleberry, master’s student, School of Nursing
- Rolanda Johnson, professor of nursing and assistant dean for diversity and inclusion, School of Nursing
- Cindy Kent, Vanderbilt trustee and executive vice president and president of senior living at Brookdale Senior Living, Inc.
- Ruth Kleinpell, Independence Foundation Professor of Nursing Education and associate dean for clinical scholarship, School of Nursing
- Ranga Ramanujam, Richard M. and Betty Ruth Miller Professor of Healthcare Management and professor of organizational studies
- Bethany Rhoten, assistant professor of nursing
- Piera Robson, Ph.D. student, School of Nursing
- Karen Schumaker, BSN’71, VUSN Dean’s Advisory Board and professor of physiological nursing, University of California–San Francisco
- Brian Widmar, associate professor of nursing; assistant dean for academics, Advanced Nursing Practice; and director, Adult-Gero Care NP Specialty, School of Nursing