Zeppos names search committee for next vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusionNov. 16, 2017, 8:00 AM
Chancellor Nicholas S. Zeppos has named a committee comprising university leaders, faculty, staff, a student and an alumna to lead the national search for Vanderbilt’s next vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusion.
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Susan R. Wente and André Churchwell, senior associate dean for diversity affairs at the School of Medicine, will co-chair the committee.
In naming the committee, Zeppos restated his commitment to making the Vanderbilt community more inclusive and diverse.
“Vanderbilt’s rapid ascension as one of the world’s leading universities has been driven by a concerted effort to make our community more inclusive and diverse,” he said. “I am proud that we have shown that inclusion, diversity and excellence are synergistic and essential at a great university, yet much work lies ahead. I am grateful to the committee members for serving in this critical role.”
Tina L. Smith was named interim vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusion and interim chief diversity officer July 1. Smith previously served as associate vice chancellor and Chancellor’s Higher Education Fellow and has served in a variety of leadership roles since joining the university in 2002.
The committee members are:
- Susan R. Wente, co-chair, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs and professor of cell and developmental biology
- André Churchwell, co-chair, senior associate dean for diversity affairs, School of Medicine, Levi Watkins Jr., M.D. Professor, and professor of medicine, radiology and radiological sciences, and biomedical engineering
- Jami Cox, senior majoring in public policy and president, Vanderbilt Student Government
- Frank Dobson, associate dean of students, faculty head of house at Gillette Hall, lecturer at Fisk University
- Steve Ertel, vice chancellor for communications
- Anjali Forber-Pratt, assistant professor of human and organizational development
- Shane Hutson, chair of physics and astronomy and professor of physics and biological sciences
- Jana Lauderdale, assistant dean for diversity and inclusion and associate professor of nursing
- Terry Maroney, professor of law, co-director of the Social Justice Program
- Constance Mobley, alumna, assistant professor of surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and transplant surgeon at Houston Methodist Hospital
- William Robinson, associate dean, associate professor of electrical engineering, and associate professor of computer engineering,
- Catherine Wood, executive director, Human Resources