Free tax prep help available for Vanderbilt employeesJan. 28, 2016, 10:17 AM
Households earning $62,000 or less in 2015 can have their taxes filed for free through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. All VITA volunteers are trained and IRS-certified to prepare basic tax returns.
How to Participate
Visit one of the 40 VITA locations in Middle Tennessee, including HR Express at 2525 West End Ave. (2nd floor) and VUMC Light Hall (Room 415 C & D). VITA representatives will be at the HR Express location on Tuesdays from 3 to 6 p.m. Feb. 2–March 15 and at the Light Hall location on Thursdays from 3 to 6 p.m. Feb. 4–March 17. While you don’t need an appointment, you will need to bring these items:
- Photo ID for adults. Note that both adults must be present if filing a joint return.
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers for all family members going on the return
- Proof of income (W-2, 1099, disability year-end statements, etc.)
- Optional: proof of expenses for additional credits/deductions (childcare expense statements, medical expenses, property tax statements, etc.)
- Optional: proof of mileage if claiming any (must be a written record; please total any business expenses before arriving)
- Optional: checkbook with routing number and account number for direct-deposit refund
United Way now has a free, online option allowing you to file your taxes from the comfort of your home. Visit the My Free Taxes website to learn more.
Call the United Way by dialing 2-1-1, or contact the Employee Service Center.
Print a flyer for this event.