Vanderbilt Names and Places
Keeping track of the latest titles of Vanderbilt University faculty, staff, schools, teams and programs can be a challenge. This guide is designed to help reporters, editors and others who write and report about Vanderbilt accurately refer to its people and places.
- Formal name and appropriate first reference: Vanderbilt University
- Appropriate second reference: Vanderbilt for the university; Commodores for athletic references
- Abbreviation: VU, if an abbreviation is required
Visit the Vanderbilt Organizational Chart for a current listing of Vanderbilt administrators and Board of Trust members.
Vanderbilt comprises 10 schools. First references to each of these schools should be preceded with “Vanderbilt University” or “Vanderbilt.” The schools’ official titles are:
- Blair School of Music
- College of Arts and Science
- Divinity School
- Graduate School
- Law School
- Owen Graduate School of Management
- Peabody College (Peabody College is Vanderbilt’s school of education and human development).
- School of Engineering
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
“Vanderbilt University Medical Center” is an appropriate first or second reference; “VUMC” is the appropriate abbreviation if one is needed. The Vanderbilt University Medical Center includes the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing, the Center for Health Services, Vanderbilt University Hospital, the Vanderbilt Clinic and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt (on second reference, “Children’s Hospital.” For more Vanderbilt Medical Center information, visit: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu.
Centers and Institutes
More than 100 interdisciplinary and specialty centers and institutes exist at Vanderbilt. Below are the official names and acronyms of some of the most frequently cited. Click here for an extensive list of Vanderbilt centers and institutes.
- Bishop Joseph Johnson Black Cultural Center
- Cal Turner Program for Moral Leadership in the Professions
- Curb Center for Art, Enterprise and Public Policy at Vanderbilt
- The Center for Medicine, Health, and Society (CMHS)
- Financial Markets Research Center (FMRC)
- First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt University
- Kelly Miller Smith Institute on Black Church Studies
- Margaret Cuninggim Women’s Center
- National Center on School Choice
- Robert Penn Warren Center for the Humanities
- Vanderbilt Addiction Center
- Vanderbilt Bill Wilkerson Center
- Vanderbilt Center for Environmental Management Studies (VCEMS)
- Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
- Vanderbilt Institute of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (VINSE)
- Vanderbilt Kennedy Center