From: MyVU [myvu@VANDERBILT.EDU]
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 8:16 AM
To: VANDERBILT-FACULTYSTAFF@LIST.VANDERBILT.EDU
Subject: My VU Preview Sept. 21

myVUVanderbiltmyvu preview

Monday - September 21, 2009

submit a story idea »

Benefits FairBenefits Fair Sept. 23-24

The Office of Benefits Administration will host two benefits fairs this year: at Vanderbilt Health at One Hundred Oaks Sept. 23 and at the Student Life Center Sept. 24.

Student IllustrationAlready an impressive class of 2013

Of the 1,599 students enrolled in the class, 86 percent came from the top 10 percent of their graduating class. A total of 167 were valedictorians or salutatorians, 187 National Merit Scholars and 12 National Achievement Scholars.

Peabody-FulbrighteditedPeabody launches two international fellowship programs for educators

The educators are participating in two new international programs, the Fulbright Distinguished Awards in Teaching and the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program, both supported by the Congressional Fulbright Programs.

constitution editedCongressional vs. presidential power focus of Sept. 23 Constitution Day program

Professor Bruce Oppenheimer’s talk, “Congressional versus Presidential Influence: The Illusion of a Balancing Act,” will be from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Flynn Auditorium of Vanderbilt University Law School.

Dhavan ShahDhavan Shah to discuss ‘How Campaign Ads and the Internet Shape Participation’ Sept. 30

Shah’s research concerns the social psychology of media influence, especially communication effects on political judgment, public opinion, lifestyle politics and civic participation.

ghomeGnome Tome book exchange at Peabody Library open to faculty, staff

Gnome Tome is a great way to circulate your personal library, to share your books with others and to see what your colleagues have been reading.

more info and top stories »

*  This Week

Sept. 21- Oct. 2: Flu Vaccine Tent at Eskind Biomedical Library

Sept. 22: Emergency Preparedness Brown Bag Lunch Lecture

Sept. 22-26: Employee Celebration Events

Sept. 23-25: State of the Clinics Address

Sept. 23 & 24: Benefits Fair

Sept. 25: The Vanderbilt University Medical Center Staff/Faculty Community Survey Deadline

Sept. 24: “Civility in Decline? The View from the American College Campus. ” Dr. P.M. Forni

Sept. 24: Great Performances at Vanderbilt – Kidd Pivot – Lost Action

Sept. 24: Blair Nightcap Series – Guest Artist Peter Sheppard Skaerved

Sept. 24: “Challenges Facing the U.S. Civil Space Program.” Michael D. Griffin

more events »

classifieds

facebook twitter  youtube  itunes  feed

Announcements

Health Plus Know Your Numbers at Kirkland and MCE Sept. 21 and 22

Roth IRA information sessions Sept. 23-24

Weight Watcher at Work free meeting Sept. 23

LifeFlight open house moved to Sept. 24

Fall Safety Fair LIVE Sept. 25, 28, and 29

Taste at Vandy will be held Sept. 30

Ms. Cheap Contest- Enter to win

more announcements »

Featured Media

Video: VUCast: Why terror helps win elections
VUCAST091809

Video: VUCast: Vanderbilt leads the fight against H1N1: See how.
VUCAST091009

more media »

Tune in to VUCast, for audio and video of events happening around campus. You can also find VU podcasts on iTunes and VU videos on YouTube.

VUMC Reporter profile:

Intensity, compassion drive Brock’s success

John Brock III

As head of the Division of Pediatric Urology as well as surgeon-in-chief at Children’s Hospital, John Brock, III, knows hard work pays off. His division was recently ranked sixth best in the United States in Urology in an annual listing of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals in U.S. News & World Report.

Although recognition in a national publication is an incredible honor, Brock doesn’t have time to rest on his laurels. He was taught to never settle for good enough.

“I am happy that we are highly ranked,” Brock said. “But we are better than No. 6. I’m not really satisfied with that and perhaps that speaks to who I am. But more importantly, it also speaks to the people I am surrounded by. We all have high expectations.

contact us   |   submit a story   |   submit a classified ad
myVU Preview provides top news and information each week for
faculty and staff of Vanderbilt University.