This Week In Vanderbilt History...  printer 

In conjunction with a nationwide anti-tuberculosis campaign, Vanderbilt issued a mandatory tuberculosis screening of all students in 1948. Due to breakthroughs in tuberculosis research, drugs were available to combat the contagious and deadly illness. Physicians at Vanderbilt's Student Health Center required all students to be X-rayed for tuberculosis within a two-week period. Informed of the decree by announcements in the Hustler and postings in the dormitories, students complied by making appointments for chest X-rays with Dr. Tom Zerfoss in the Student Health Building.   Source: The Vanderbilt Hustler Oct. 15,1948 -- Alyson Fant Posted 10/09/00 at 10:00 a.m.


For important news and announcements, visit the faculty and staff Web page at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/myVU.

To read the monthly magazine for the Vanderbilt community, the Vanderbilt View, check newsstands on campus, or visit http://www.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbiltview.