To our distinguished faculty:
Welcome to the 2023–24 academic year!
Whether you are new to our campus or a longtime faculty member, I want to offer my thanks for all that you do in service to our students, your discipline, society and Vanderbilt’s growing reputation.
Last year was Vanderbilt’s strongest year ever by many measures, and this year promises to be even better:
- We’re continuing to celebrate our Sesquicentennial, the 150th anniversary of our founding.
- We’re bringing researchers, industry professionals and leaders from around the world to campus to explore the most pressing issues of our time—including AI and free speech, cyberdefense, health equity and the future of democracy.
- We’re expanding our global presence, increasing your opportunities for connection with scholars, artists, innovators and students worldwide.
- We’ll debut Quantum Potential, a series of fresh-take video portraits of Vanderbilt researchers who are changing the world.
- And today we are especially proud to launch Dialogue Vanderbilt, an initiative to promote civil discourse and better understand and address polarization. Dialogue Vanderbilt is the latest demonstration of our bedrock commitment to free expression and open inquiry. Its aim is to create the conditions for you to share your thoughts and ideas freely, collaborate more fully and do your best work.
I hope you’re feeling as inspired as I am by the possibilities before us. I look forward to gathering with you tomorrow and celebrating your accomplishments at our annual Fall Faculty Assembly. For now, my very best to all of you as we begin another year of daring to grow together.