Build and enhance your coaching skills in HR Employee Learning & Engagement’s Coaching Lab!
Whether you are a high-level administrator, people manager or individual contributor, building your coaching skills can enhance your communication, performance and success—and that of your team members, whether they report to you or work with you. Infusing coaching skills into your work can transform communication, enhance effectiveness, motivate employees and strengthen relationships.
The best way to develop your coaching skills isn’t to read about coaching, but to practice in a low-stakes environment where you receive feedback and have opportunities to observe coaching and offer feedback yourself. The Coaching Lab offers you that. You’ll gain foundational knowledge about what coaching is, explore a coaching framework and build your coaching skills through observation, practice and feedback.
In this three-part series, you will:
- Define what coaching is and differentiate coaching from other styles and supports (like mentoring and advising)
- Identify the benefits of coaching for individuals, teams and the organization
- Evaluate what effective coaching looks like
- Assess your coaching skills and decide how you would like them to grow
- Identify opportunities for coaching
- Practice coaching peers in a triad form and receive feedback on your coaching
- Build confidence in your coaching skills
- Explore and plan how you’d like to infuse coaching into your communications and/or leadership and how to continue to grow your coaching skills
In our summer 2023 cohort, participants reported increased knowledge and confidence. “The Coaching Lab series was one of the most beneficial trainings I’ve participated in at Vanderbilt. It provided a base level of knowledge of what coaching is and different techniques, and then provided the opportunity to practice the skills and receive real-time feedback. This was uncomfortable at times, which means I was growing in active development of this skill.” —Andrea Zink
- Sept. 12, 9:30 a.m.–noon
- Sept. 19, 9:30 a.m.–noon
- Sept. 26, 9:30 a.m.–noon
Participants should plan to fully engage in all three sessions. Please note that sessions will be heavily interactive (Collaborate & Create on ELE’s participation levels), as participants will engage in discussions and coaching. Those who complete all three sessions will receive a certificate of completion.
To enroll in this virtual series, please visit vanderbi.lt/ele-coachinglab2023 or search for “The Coaching Lab” in Oracle Learn.
Here’s what past participants shared:
- Coaching is a skill that involves practice, and the lab allows for a safe space in order to do so. The small groups and the instruction provided were all positive interactions. This is a judgment-free zone to really build some technique. —Madeline French
- This is a great lab. Coaching happens around us a lot, at work, and in life. This lab will help you get better at coaching and be more aware of coaching moments. —Chuane Li
This series will not be recorded, and a limited number of seats are available.
The HR Employee Learning and Engagement team unlocks the potential of every Vanderbilt employee by offering innovative and meaningful learning experiences, creating space to foster conversations and connections, and encouraging a culture of learning and growth. Our vision is for every employee to feel connected and integral to Vanderbilt’s mission, empowered to invest in themselves and succeed in their role, engaged in the campus community and inspired to design their best future.
HR ELE workshops are offered at no cost to VU employees. Click here to view all of HR ELE’s upcoming learning experiences and self-paced resources. HR ELE also offers workshops for departments and teams upon request.