VUPS is issuing this Security Notice to update the Vanderbilt community on additional details regarding the incident that initiated the AlertVU notification on Saturday, June 24, 2023. Upon further investigation, it was determined that the following had occurred:
On June 24 at 10:47 p.m., a female student reported to VUPD that she was assaulted while walking on the east side of Featheringill, near Stevenson Center. She noticed a male walking behind her, and as she began to walk faster and then run, the male ran after her, tackled her, and began to choke her while stating, “Do you want me to rape you?” The student fought him off by hitting him in the genital area a few times and running away and immediately reported the incident to VUPS.
This is an active police investigation.
This Security Notice is being issued to remind the Vanderbilt community:
- Scan the area before you exit or approach your vehicle or building while you proceed between locations.
- Have your key ready in hand to quickly access the door of your vehicle/building.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas.
- Watch out for each other. If you see someone who looks like they do not belong in the building or area, notify VUPD.
- Know the location of emergency phones.
- Report any suspicious persons to VUPD.
- Download the VandySafe app to:
- Contact VUPD via phone call or real-time chat.
- Trigger a mobile blue light that shares your location instantly with VUPD.
- Initiate a “virtual walk home” where VUPD can monitor your walk home, to the car or to the office.
- Submit iReports and crime tips.
- View information about VandyRide.
- Access support resources.
- View emergency guides.
Resources and assistance for students, faculty and staff
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call 615-421-9111, or for non-emergency assistance, call 615-322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 615-322-SAFE (7233).
The Title IX Office can be reached at 615-343-9004.
The University Counseling Center can be reached at 615-322-2571.