- 615-322-6397 Email
Vanderbilt University Public Safety has been alerted of several phone scams that have targeted parents and guardians of Vanderbilt students, in which the scammers pose as law enforcement in an attempt to coerce money from them.
The one thing: Neither VUPS nor any legitimate law enforcement agency will ever call someone and demand money.
How the scam works:
- The caller contacts parents of Vanderbilt students claiming to be members of VUPS or the police department.
- The caller may use the name of an actual law enforcement officer and may disguise their phone number to make it look like they are calling from VUPS.
- The caller states that they have arrested their student and that the parent needs to send money to secure their release.
What to do if you receive a similar call:
- The best way to protect yourself is to hang up and not provide any information to the caller.
- Call VUPS at 615-322-2745 and let them know you believe you were targeted with this scam.
If you have any questions, please call VUPS at the number above or email firstname.lastname@example.org.