Applications due Nov. 10
This is a joint competition for VU and VUMC investigators. All investigators should follow these instructions.
Vanderbilt (VU and VUMC combined) can nominate up to two assistant professors for the 2023 Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Awards, sponsored by Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU). The awards provide seed money for research intended to enrich the research and professional growth of young faculty. The award amount is $5,000 for one year (June 1-May 31), which can be used for faculty summer salary, graduate student salary, travel, equipment or other assistance relevant to the faculty member’s research, but indirect costs are not allowed. Because of the close working relationship between ORAU and Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), the award committee particularly encourages collaborative interaction with ORNL.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The applicant’s institution is required to match the award with at least an additional $5,000. Applicants must work with the appropriate dean, department chair or center director to obtain a commitment to these matching funds.
Awards are restricted to full-time assistant professors within two years of their initial tenure track appointment by the application date (Jan. 9, 2023). ORAU will recognize circumstances that resulted in a “tenure clock delay.” Research projects must be in one of the following disciplines:
- Engineering and applied science
- Life sciences
- Mathematics/computer sciences
- Physical sciences
- Policy, management or education
Internal application process
Anyone interested in being considered as a potential nominee must submit the below items (in PDF format) to LSO@vanderbilt.edu by 5 p.m. on Nov. 10, 2022. Submissions should reference the program name in the subject line of the email. Please adhere to the ORAU application instructions as much as possible.
- Brief research plan (2 page max., including summary budget)
- Statement of support from dean, department chair or center director
- Letter must include a school, department or center commitment to the REQUIRED $5,000 in matching funds;
- Letter must acknowledge that this grant does not allow indirect costs.** This statement can be used/modified: “The department recognizes that this grant does not allow indirect costs and will commit to covering any associated indirect costs per applicable institutional/school policy.”
- Resume (1 page max.)
- Publications and/or presentations (1 page max.)
**Process for cost sharing typically coordinated at the departmental/school level and approved by department chair and/or dean. Please consult LSO@vanderbilt.edu for further guidance.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to LSO@vanderbilt.edu.