- 615-322-6397 Email
The U.S. Department of State and the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board have announced the Fulbright U.S. Student Program awards for 2022-23, with a record 20 Vanderbilt University students and alumni winning the prestigious awards. In addition to the 20 new Fulbright Scholars, four Vanderbilt seniors have been selected as alternates and 32 students and alumni earned recognition as semifinalists.
“Vanderbilt empowers its students to think big, to embrace different perspectives and to take the intellectual risks often necessary to drive scalable solutions to pressing global issues,” Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs C. Cybele Raver said. “This year’s record-setting recognition from the Fulbright Program speaks to our students’ highest-caliber academic preparedness and innovation as the next generation of emerging leaders.”
The Fulbright Program is the U.S. government’s flagship international educational exchange program, offering students grants to conduct research, earn graduate degrees and teach English in more than 150 countries overseas. The Fulbright Program is funded through an annual appropriation made by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Approximately 2,000 Fulbright Scholars have been selected from a pool of nearly 10,000 applicants.
Before this year, the largest number of Fulbright Scholars selected from Vanderbilt in one year was 13. The 2022 Vanderbilt Fulbright Scholars join 198 Vanderbilt Fulbright Scholar alumni since the program’s inception in 1946. Fulbright alumni join a network of thousands of esteemed scholars, many of whom are leaders in their fields, gain access to noncompetitive hiring eligibility for federal positions and become part of a global community of State Department fellowship alumni. Fulbright alumni include leaders who are making a difference in their communities and the world, including 61 Nobel Prize laureates, 89 Pulitzer Prize recipients, and 40 who have served as a head of state or government.
Vanderbilt students and alumni awarded 2022-23 Fulbright U.S. Student Grants include:
- Trevor Engel, doctoral candidate in history, to conduct research in Germany
- Iris Kim, BS’21, to conduct research in South Korea
- Kristi Maisha, BS’21, award to support graduate study in Singapore
- Ellie Miller, BA’22, Combined Study Award to Denmark and Greenland, Fulbright Arctic Initiative
- Abhi Nathan, BS’21, Fulbright-Nehru Award to conduct research in India
- Jacob Schenthal, BA’21, Fulbright-Nehru Award to conduct research in India
- Maya Taylor, BS’21, Fulbright-Nehru Award to conduct research in India
- Arunabh Singh, BA’18, Fulbright Binational Business Internship Program to Mexico
- Hanako Batt, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Spain
- Ruby Drizin-Kahn, BA’21, English Teaching Assistantship to Spain
- Alyssa Dunsizer, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Spain
- Nicole Eiland, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Spain
- Morgan Elrod-Erickson, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Taiwan
- Sara Emerick, MEd’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Timor-Leste
- Mary Elaine Hanna, BA’20, English Teaching Assistantship to Spain
- Raina Harpalani, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Spain
- Lily Hauptman, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Germany
- Claire McGonigle, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Spain
- Sreekar Miriyala, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Taiwan
- Anna Yarinsky, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Spain
- Isabelle Krieger, BA’22, Research Award to Kazakhstan
- Stella Owings, BA’22, Study/Research Award to Finland
- Annabel Sengstock, BA’22, English Teaching Assistantship to Montenegro
Vanderbilt provides comprehensive support to students and alumni participating in the campus nomination process, including one-on-one consultations and structured group support regarding conceptualization of projects, writing and revising proposals, and interview preparation and campus review in collaboration with campus partners including the Writing Studio and English Language Center and faculty across all colleges and schools.
Current Vanderbilt students and alumni interested in learning more about the Fulbright U.S. Student Program should contact Vanderbilt’s Fulbright Program adviser, Elizabeth Harrington Lambert, associate director of fellowships and scholarships.
About the Career Center
The Career Center supports all undergraduate students, graduate students (STEM, humanities and social science disciplines), postdoctoral fellows and recent Vanderbilt alumni up to two years post-graduation.
About the Fellowships Team
The Fellowships Team assists all Vanderbilt students, postdoctoral fellows and alumni who are eligible to apply for the awards that the Career Center supports. More information on all supported fellowships can be found on the Career Center website.