Dear Vanderbilt community,
Within 48 hours of the tragic shootings in Buffalo, New York, we are deeply distressed by the news of another shooting, this time at a church in Laguna Woods, California. Police reports indicate that the crime may have been politically motivated.
Our thoughts are with the victims—who are all of Asian descent, and largely elders in their community, and their families and the city of Laguna Woods.
We are keenly aware of the impact of having to again process a violent attack on a community so closely on the heels of the violence in Buffalo. We encourage you to seek support as needed through the resources below.
- University Counseling Center, call 615-322-2571 to speak with an on-call behavioral health provider
- Student Care Coordination, schedule an appointment online or call 615-343-WELL (9355)
- Center for Student Wellbeing, call 615-322-0480 to schedule an appointment
- Center for Spiritual and Religious Life, call 615-322-2457 for support
- Employee Assistance Program, call 615-936-1327 for a confidential appointment
C. Cybele Raver
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
André L. Churchwell
Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer