UPDATE: On April 14, 2022, Marquez Alexander James was arrested by Metro Nashville Police in East Nashville. The VUPS Criminal Investigations Unit, working with BNA Airport Police, identified James as a suspect and obtained warrants for his arrest. James tripped the license plate recognition cameras in Hendersonville last week and ran from them after abandoning a stolen car. He has multiple charges from the Hendersonville Police Department, BNA Airport Police and VUPD, including the fondling incidents that resulted in the Security Notice below on Jan. 31, 2022.
On Monday, Jan. 31, 2022, VUPD was notified by a Campus Security Authority of three separate incidents in which female students reported they were groped by an unknown male in the area between and around 25th Avenue Garage/Highland Quad/Mayfield/West Garage. In each incident, the female did not report any physical injuries. All three reports were submitted anonymously to the Campus Security Authority. While no victim has come forward, VUPD is actively looking into these reports as well as providing additional patrols in the area.
This Security Notice is being issued to remind the Vanderbilt community that:
- Sexual assault is a crime.
- Scan the area before you exit or approach your vehicle/or building while you proceed between locations.
- Have your key ready in hand to quickly access the door of your vehicle/building.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas.
- Watch out for each other. If you see someone who looks like they do not belong in the building or area, notify VUPD.
- Know the location of emergency phones.
- Report any suspicious persons to VUPD.
- Download the VandySafe app to:
- Contact VUPD via phone call or real-time chat
- Trigger a mobile blue light that shares your location instantly with VUPD
- Initiate a “virtual walk home” where VUPD can monitor your walk home, to the car or office
- Submit iReports and crime tips
- View information about VandyRide
- Access support resources
- View emergency guides
Resources and assistance for students, faculty and staff
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call 615-421-1911, or for non-emergency assistance, call 615-322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 615-322-SAFE (7233).
The Title IX Office can be reached at 615-343-9004.
The University Counseling Center can be reached at 615-322-2571.