This notice is to provide an update to the Vanderbilt community regarding the Security Notice issued on Wednesday, March 16, 2022, and the AlertVU that was sent earlier this evening.
VUPD has received three additional reports tonight where community members were grabbed or slapped on the buttocks. VUPD has been able to verify that the suspect in each of the incidents over both nights is the individual in the photo below. The suspect was last seen this evening at 8:52 PM on 21st Ave South near Dunkin Donuts wearing a maroon long-sleeved shirt, baseball cap, black and white checkered shoes, and dark-colored backpack.
VUPD is actively searching and patrolling the campus to locate and apprehend the suspect. DO NOT approach the suspect if you see him. Please immediately dial 911 or contact VUPD at 615-421-1911.
This is a reminder that sexual assault is a crime.
To reduce your risk of becoming a victim of a crime, VU community members are reminded to:
- Scan the area before you exit or approach your vehicle/or building while you proceed between locations
- Have your key ready in hand to quickly access the door of your vehicle/building
- Avoid isolated or dark areas
- Watch out for each other. If you see someone who looks like they do not belong in the building or area, notify VUPD
- Know the location of emergency phones
- Report any suspicious persons to VUPD
- Download the VandySafe app to:
- Contact VUPD via phone call or real-time chat
- Trigger a mobile Bluelight that shares your location instantly with VUPD
- Initiate a “Virtual Walkhome” where VUPD can monitor your walk home, to the car, or the office
- Submit iReports and crime tips
- View information about VandyRide
- Access support resources
- View emergency guides
Resources and Assistance for Students, Faculty, and Staff:
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance call: (615) 421-1911 or non-emergency: (615) 322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (615) 322-SAFE(7233).
The Title IX Office can be reached at (615) 343-9004.
The University Counseling Center (UCC) can be reached at (615) 322-2571.