As the holiday season approaches, VUPD is reminding the Vanderbilt community to be vigilant in protecting yourself and your belongings to aid in crime prevention.
- Always lock the doors and windows of your room or dwelling, particularly when you are sleeping or even just going down the hall.
- Don’t prop open doors or allow strangers to “piggyback” into a residence hall.
- Secure your valuables and engrave expensive items with identifying information.
- Do not leave your identification, cell phone, keys, wallet, purse, laptop or other valuables in open view.
- Always keep your vehicle locked.
- Always secure your bicycle, scooter or other form of transportation with the appropriate lock.
- Report suspicious person(s) to VUPD. Try to provide a description of the person(s).
- Register cell phones, laptops, bicycles and scooters with VUPD’s Operation ID program.
Immediately report any criminal or suspicious activity to VUPD at 615-421-1911 (emergency) or 615-322-2745 (non-emergency), or utilize a Blue Light emergency phone or the VandySafe app.
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a crime, the following resources are available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week: