The Office for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion will launch additional Employee Affinity Groups in the coming weeks and months as part of an ongoing initiative to support university employees. Employee Affinity Groups are employee-led and -facilitated groups formed around interests, backgrounds, identities and common bonds.
These new groups will expand resources and provide Vanderbilt employees with more spaces to build community and a sense of belonging. The three new groups are:
Early Career Professionals – for Vanderbilt employees in their first five years of service.
- Interest session: Nov. 8 from 2 to 3 p.m. via Zoom
- RSVP here, or contact Jolie Grace Wareham for more information.
International Employees – including, but not limited to, non-U.S. citizens, immigrants or anyone interested in contributing to international students and scholars or global education.
- Interest session: Nov. 17 from 3 to 4 p.m. via Zoom
- RSVP here, or contact Wendy Yu for more information.
Indigenous Employees – including, but not limited to, Native American, Native Alaskan, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islanders First Nations and those from other indigenous communities.
- Interest session: Nov. 29 (time TBD) via Zoom
- RSVP here, or contact Hope Young for more information.
Each EAG is open to all Vanderbilt employees, regardless of identity. Staff, faculty and postdoctoral scholars who identify as part of or have close affinity to these groups are encouraged to attend.
Through participation in EAGs, Vanderbilt staff and faculty help foster a positive work environment at the university by actively contributing to its mission, values and efforts specific to diversity, inclusion and campus engagement. The first EAG, the Association of Vanderbilt Black Faculty and Staff, was created in July 2020. The university now has eight established groups:
Association of Vanderbilt Black Faculty and Staff (AVBFS)
- Contact: Rosevelt Noble
Asian, Asian American, Pacific Islander
- Contacts: Laura Mariko Cheifetz and Justine Chen
- Upcoming event: Nov. 19 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. in Divinity 124 (in person).
- RSVP here.
Disabilities and Chronic Health Conditions
Golden ’Dores (age 50+)
- Contact: Linzie Treadway, Derek Nido and Mikey Pastrana
- Upcoming event: Lunch and chat, Nov. 11 from noon to 1 p.m. (in person), Office of Undergraduate Admissions Buford Presentation Room
- RSVP by emailing Linzie Treadway.
- Contact: Amanda King
Military and Veterans
- Contact: Phil Samples and Mitchel Lampley
- Upcoming event: Post-Veterans Day lunch, Nov. 17 from noon to 1 p.m. in Alumni Hall 100.
- RSVP here.