On Nov. 1, 2021, VUPD received a report from a Campus Security Authority that a female student was sexually assaulted by a male student in a residence hall during the early morning hours of Oct. 31, 2021.
This security notice is being issued to remind the Vanderbilt community that:
- Sexual assault does not just occur between strangers.
- Consent must be clear and unambiguous for each participant at every stage of a sexual encounter.
- The absence of “no” should not be understood to mean there is consent.
- A person who is asleep or mentally or physically incapacitated, either through the effect of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.
- Sexual assault is a crime.
Resources and assistance for students, faculty and staff
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call 615-421-1911, or for non-emergency assistance, call 615-322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 615-322-SAFE (7233).
The Title IX Office can be reached at 615-343-9004.
The University Counseling Center can be reached at 615-322-2571.