On Oct. 23 VUPD was notified by VUMC personnel that a VU student checked into the emergency department and reported she was sexually assaulted during the night in her campus residence hall room.
This security notice is being issued to remind the Vanderbilt community that:
- Sexual assault does not just occur between strangers.
- Consent must be clear and unambiguous for each participant at every stage of a sexual encounter.
- The absence of “no” should not be understood to mean there is consent.
- A person who is asleep or mentally or physically incapacitated, either through the effect of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.
- Sexual assault is a crime.
Resources and assistance for students, faculty and staff
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call 615-421-1911, or for non-emergency assistance, call 615-322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 615-322-SAFE (7233).
The Title IX Office can be reached at 615-343-9004.
The University Counseling Center can be reached at 615-322-2571.