Applications due Nov. 8
These instructions are for VU investigators. VUMC investigators should visit the OOR funding opportunity site.
Vanderbilt University can select two candidates for the 2022 SebastianStrong Foundation Discovery Science Award. The SebastianStrong Foundation is committed to raising awareness about and finding less toxic cures for pediatric cancers. SebastianStrong funds cutting-edge, peer-reviewed pediatric research projects in early stages. The foundation believes in supporting bold ideas that use innovative methodologies and out-of-the-box approaches in the quest for less toxic cures.
The 2022 Discovery Science Award will be awarded to an individual or team of researchers whose proposal is focused primarily on pediatric cancers in general, or a specific pediatric cancer without a high survival rate or one with a low survival rate upon relapse. Budgets are flexible, but awards are typically between $100,000 and $300,000. The foundation has historically limited overhead costs to a maximum of 15 percent.
Research proposal criteria
- Proposal should be focused on pediatric cancer.
- Research will lead to “less toxic” cures.
- Proposal can be understood by the foundation’s board of directors and donors (e.g. use examples and spell out acronyms).
- Research may lead to a clinical trial in one to three years.
- Peer-reviewed new, ongoing and/or updated research is appropriate.
- Trials in progress or ongoing clinical trials are not eligible.
See descriptions of previous award winners here.
Internal application process
Interested faculty should visit https://vanderbilt.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1853624 to submit an application for the internal LSO competition and to find additional information about the opportunity. The deadline for the internal competition is Nov. 8, 2021.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to VU-LSO@vanderbilt.edu.