Applications due Sept. 20
These instructions are for VU investigators. VUMC investigators should visit the OOR funding opportunity site.
Vanderbilt University may submit two proposals for the VentureWell Course and Program Grants.
VentureWell Course and Program Grants (formerly known as Faculty Grants) of up to $30,000 (overhead not allowed) are awarded to faculty or staff at U.S. higher education institutions to support curriculum that engages students in science and technology innovation and entrepreneurship.
Course or program focus areas may include, but are not limited to, one of the following areas:
- General (science- and technology-based) entrepreneurship
- Sustainable technology (new materials, clean tech, green energy and chemistry innovation)
- Climate change solutions (technology to mitigate and/or adapt to climate change), especially technologies that support communities most impacted by climate change
- Biomedical and health care innovation
- Technology that addresses poverty alleviation and basic human needs
Successful course and program grant proposals will:
- Create or strengthen courses or programs that engage student teams in developing novel technology innovations, with the end goal of pursuing scalable solutions to real-world needs with social and/or environmental impact.
- Provide students with a meaningful experience, including opportunities for experiential learning and the formation of student teams that may be eligible to apply to VentureWell’s E-Team program.
- Set the stage for sustained institutional change. Schools that are just beginning to grow their I&E ecosystems are also encouraged to apply and should describe the funded course or program as part of a larger plan for entrepreneurial ecosystem development.
- Articulate a plan for broadening participation among underrepresented groups (URGs). Proposals must provide a clear and specific plan to articulate how the course or program will increase participation of students and faculty from URGs in science and technology innovation and entrepreneurship.
Course and Program Grants may be used to strengthen existing curricular programs or to build new, inclusive courses and programs that engage student teams in developing and pursuing scalable solutions to real-world needs through science and technology innovation and entrepreneurship.
Activities supported by Course and Program Grants should lead to effective courses and programs that are sustained by the institution, lead to the formation of student teams (ideally involved with the VentureWell E-Team Program), and expand opportunities for learning across science and technology innovation and entrepreneurship at the parent institution.
There will be two webinars offered by the sponsor in September and October. Find more information on the program website.
See the guidelines for more information.
Internal Application Process
Interested faculty should visit https://vanderbilt.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1850237 to submit an application for the internal LSO competition and to find additional information about the opportunity. The deadline for the internal competition is Sept. 20, 2021.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to VU-LSO@vanderbilt.edu.