Applications due July 15, 2021
These instructions are for VU investigators. VUMC investigators should visit the OOR funding opportunity site.
Vanderbilt University may nominate two candidates for the 2022 Searle Scholars Program, which supports the independent research in chemistry and the biomedical sciences of outstanding individuals who have recently begun their first appointments as tenure-track assistant professors. The Searle Scholars Program Scientific Advisory Board is primarily interested in the potential of applicants to make innovative and high-impact contributions to research over an extended period of time. Each year, 15 new individuals are named Searle Scholars and awarded $300,000 over three years.
- Applicants are expected to be pursuing independent research careers in biochemistry, cell biology, genetics, immunology, neuroscience, pharmacology and other related areas in chemistry, medicine and the biological sciences.
- Applicants should have begun their appointment as an independent investigator at the assistant professor level on or after July 1, 2020. The appointment must be their first tenure-track position or its nearest equivalent.
- The program does not support purely clinical research but has supported research programs that include both clinical and basic components.
- Applicants who were nominated for awards in the previous competition year but were not awarded may still meet the eligibility criteria for the current competition. *Contact email@example.com if this applies.
Potential applicants who are unsure if their research is appropriate for the program are encouraged to examine the research interests of present and former Searle Scholars.
Interested faculty should visit https://vanderbilt.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1845104 to submit an application for the internal LSO competition and to find additional information about the opportunity. The deadline for the internal competition is July 15, 2021.
Faculty will be asked to upload the following materials:
- Brief (two-page maximum) research plan including summary budget (overhead not allowed)
- Recent NIH Biosketch or CV
- Brief statement of support from department chair/center director
- Letter must acknowledge that this grant does not allow indirect costs and will commit to covering any associated indirect costs per applicable school/departmental policy.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to VU-LSO@vanderbilt.edu.