Applications due June 3
These instructions are for VU investigators. VUMC investigators should visit the OOR funding opportunity site.
Vanderbilt University may submit four proposals for the summer/fall cycle of the Mathers Foundation grants program. The mission of The G. Harold and Leila Y. Mathers Foundation is to advance knowledge in the life sciences by sponsoring scientific research that will benefit mankind. The foundation’s grants program seeks to support innovative, potentially transformative basic science projects in fields including immunology, microbiome, genomics, structural biology, cellular physiology and neuroscience. The grant duration is three years, and requested budgets should be realistic for the project (consider the type of investigation, models used, supply requirements, size of the team, etc.). Indirect costs may not exceed 10 percent.
- The foundation primarily supports basic science, ideally with potential translational applications.
- Immunology, microbiome, genomics, structural biology, cellular physiology, neuroscience, etc., are noteworthy examples of current research support. Plant biology and oceanography research will not be considered for support.
- Requests for funding previous federally supported research, and/or applications pending federal approval, will not be accorded priority consideration.
- Requests for support of clinical trials or drug discovery will not be approved.
- Investigations in basic science and translational research may be reliant on collaborative, interdisciplinary projects. Interdisciplinary project proposals may require additional information regarding collaborator achievements and relevant expertise.
- Awards may not be used to purchase capital equipment.
- LOIs that have been declined should not be resubmitted.
- Renewal applications for the same or related research will not be accorded priority consideration, and applicants should consider proposing a new research direction.
Internal application process
Interested faculty should visit https://vanderbilt.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1842205 to submit an application for the internal LSO competition and to find additional information about the opportunity. The deadline for the internal competition is June 3, 2021.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to VU-LSO@vanderbilt.edu.