These instructions are for VU investigators. VUMC investigators should visit the OOR funding opportunity site.
Vanderbilt University may submit one proposal to the American Honda Foundation’s Grants for Youth Education and Scientific Education.
The American Honda Foundation engages in grant making that reflects the basic tenets, beliefs and philosophies of Honda companies, which are characterized by the following qualities: imaginative, creative, youthful, forward-thinking, scientific, humanistic and innovative. AHF supports youth education with a specific focus on the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) subjects in addition to the environment.
The range of grant requests is from $20,000 to $75,000 for a period of one year. The average size of AHF’s grants is $45,000 for a one-year funding cycle. AHF allows up to 12 percent indirect costs.
Funding priority: Youth education, specifically in the areas of science, technology, engineering, mathematics, the environment, job training and literacy. AHF defines “youth” as pre-natal through 21 years of age. “Scientific education” encompasses both the physical and life sciences, mathematics and the environmental sciences.
Types of projects that are funded:
- innovative and creative that propose untried methods that ultimately may result in providing solutions to the complex educational concerns currently facing American society
- broad in scope, intent, impact and outreach
- possessing a high potential for success with a relatively low incidence of duplication of effort
- dedicated to improving the human condition of all mankind
- operating from a position of financial and administrative soundness
- in urgent need of funding from a priority basis (not necessarily financial need); i.e., the relative importance of the program or project to the public
Internal application instructions
Interested faculty should visit https://vanderbilt.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1840828 to submit an application for the internal LSO competition and to find additional information about the opportunity. The deadline for the internal competition is May 18, 2021.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to VU-LSO@vanderbilt.edu.