Vanderbilt University may submit one letter of inquiry to The Henry Luce Foundation’s 2021 American Art Exhibition Competition, which supports scholarly loan exhibitions that significantly advance the study and understanding of art of the United States, including all facets of Native American art.
Eligibility requirements and restrictions
Eligible projects may address any time period and/or medium, excepting performance art, film and the work of emerging artists, and must result in substantial exhibitions and accompanying publications. Proposals will be judged on the aesthetic and historical merit of the art under consideration as well as on the intellectual rigor and originality of the exhibition’s conceptual framework. Competitive projects will be concertedly focused on original art objects of distinct quality.
- Art of the United States, including Native American art, should constitute significantly more than half of the checklist.
- The program does not support projects that are primarily historical, documentary, social or technological.
- The organizing institution’s permanent collection should not constitute more than half of the exhibition checklist.
- Exhibitions with substantial involvement of an artist’s estate or commercial dealer cannot be considered.
- A single, privately held collection should constitute no more than half of the exhibition checklist.
- The proposed exhibition should not open within the calendar year of the annual exhibition review to which it has been submitted, or before March of the following year.
The selected nominee will submit a letter of intent by April 30 and afterward may be invited by the foundation to submit a full proposal by June 25, 2021.
Internal application instructions
Interested faculty should visit https://vanderbilt.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1834651 to submit an application for the internal LSO competition and to find additional information about the opportunity. The deadline for the internal competition is March 5, 2021.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process may be directed to VU-LSO@vanderbilt.edu.