Applications due Feb. 2
This is a joint competition for VU and VUMC investigators. All investigators should follow these instructions.
Vanderbilt (VU and VUMC) may nominate one assistant professor for the Association of American Medical Colleges Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship. The award recognizes an outstanding junior faculty member who:
- demonstrates leadership potential in addressing inequity in medical education and health care
- demonstrates efforts in addressing educational, societal and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States
- is committed to a career in academic medicine
The recipient will receive a $25,000 grant for a project performed in the United States to support racial and ethnic minorities.
The candidate must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Hold the rank of full-time assistant professor in a School of Medicine department.
- Have held the assistant professor position appointment beginning no earlier than July 1, 2017.
- Have received only one appointment as assistant professor.
- Hold an M.D., Ph.D. or have earned another doctoral degree.
Internal selection process
Anyone interested in being considered as one of Vanderbilt’s nominees must submit the following (in a single PDF) to LSO@vanderbilt.edu by 5 p.m. on Feb. 2.
In any of the sections below, please make sure to demonstrate efforts in addressing educational, societal and health care needs of racial and ethnic minorities in the United States.
- A personal statement discussing your motivations and objectives for a career in academic medicine (1 page);
- A project description which could include project aims, objectives, goals and potential accomplishments (1 page);
- Summary project budget with $25,000 limit (1/2 – 1 page);
- Statement of support from department chair/center director;
- Five-page CV or NIH Biosketch.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.