Skip to main content

Watch: ROTC commanding officers give tour of campus landmarks

by Nov. 13, 2020, 8:00 AM

The historic legacy of Vanderbilt University’s military veterans is reflected in the buildings and grounds that VU community members inhabit each day.

Vanderbilt Reserve Officers Training Corps commanding officers Capt. Brian Erickson and Lt. Col. Demetrios Ghikas discuss campus landmarks—such as Alumni Hall, Memorial Gymnasium and Vanderbilt University Medical Center—and their significance to Vanderbilt’s veterans and military history.

In addition, archival photographs from the Jean and Alexander Heard Libraries Special Collections and University Archives are currently on display in exhibits at E. Bronson Ingram College and the second-floor gallery of Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Memorial Gymnasium, dedicated on Dec. 6, 1952, commemorates Vanderbilt veterans who served in World War II. Pictured (l-r) are Charles S. Ragland, general chairman of the Memorial Gymnasium Fund Campaign, 1946-47; James G. Stahlman, chairman of the Board of Trust Gymnasium Committee, 1945-46; Charles Madison Sarratt, dean of students from 1941 to 1946 and vice chancellor from 1946 to 1957; and Chancellor Harvie Branscomb. (Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives)
Memorial Gymnasium, dedicated on Dec. 6, 1952, commemorates Vanderbilt veterans who served in World War II. Pictured (l-r) are Charles S. Ragland, general chairman of the Memorial Gymnasium Fund Campaign, 1946-47; James G. Stahlman, chairman of the Board of Trust Gymnasium Committee, 1945-46; Charles Madison Sarratt, dean of students from 1941 to 1946 and vice chancellor from 1946 to 1957; and Chancellor Harvie Branscomb. (Vanderbilt University Special Collections and University Archives)

VIEW MORE EVENTS >