Applications due Sept. 17
This is a joint competition for VU and VUMC investigators. All investigators should follow these instructions.
Vanderbilt (VU and VUMC, collaboratively) may submit one nomination per category for the 2021 Blavatnik National Awards for Young Scientists. The three award categories are: Chemistry, Physical Sciences and Engineering, and Life Sciences. These awards honor exceptional young scientists by celebrating their extraordinary achievements, recognizing their inspiring promise, and accelerating their innovations. Awardees will receive $250,000 in unrestricted funds.
The eligibility criteria, guidelines for selection, and application materials are consistent across these three award categories. The deadline for all three internal competitions is Sept. 17, 2020.
The nominee must:
- Have been born in or after 1979
- Hold a doctorate level degree (Ph.D., D.Phil., M.D., D.D.S., D.V.M., etc.)
- Currently hold a tenured or tenure-track faculty position
- Currently conduct research as a principal investigator in the award category
- The Blavatnik Awards strongly encourages the nomination of women and underrepresented groups in STEM.
Guidelines for selection
Each nominee and their body of work will be evaluated based on the quality of their research, the impact on their respective field, the novelty of their ideas and methods, and the potential they show for future contributions to science.
Anyone interested in being considered as a nominee must submit the following materials by Sept. 17, 2020.
- Brief description of your research (two-page max, excluding references). Recommended topics (from instructions):
–Summarize up to five of your most significant scientific contributions and research accomplishments.
–Key results, their impact on your field of study and your specific role in the described work should be included.
–Information about your positions, awards and service activities should be excluded.
–One figure illustrating the most significant results is allowed.
- Professional Service and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Statement (1/2 – 1 page.) Recommended topics (from instructions):
–Outreach activities and/or professional service, with particular focus on activities and service related to increasing diversity, equity and inclusion in the scientific community
- Letter of support from department chair/center director
- NIH Biosketch or brief CV (five-page max)
Please note that the application process differs across the three award competitions.
- Faculty interested in the Chemistry award category should submit an application via InfoReady by 9/17: https://vanderbilt.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1822445
- Faculty interested in the Physical Sciences and Engineering award category should submit an application via InfoReady by 9/17: https://vanderbilt.infoready4.com/#competitionDetail/1822444
- Faculty interested in the Life Sciences award category should apply by emailing the above-listed application materials as a single PDF to LSO@Vanderbilt.edu by 9/17.
Any questions about this opportunity or the LSO process can be directed to LSO@vanderbilt.edu.