Make Move-In Earth-friendly with the VU Cardboard Crew and FutureVU SustainabilityAug. 11, 2019, 10:00 AM
The VU Cardboard Crew will assist first-year students at The Martha Rivers Ingram Commons with recycling their cardboard, Styrofoam and plastic film wrapping during this year’s Move-In. In addition, FutureVU Sustainability will host a booth at the International Student Resource and Vendor Fair in the Student Life Center Ballroom from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Aug. 15, and at the University Resources and Services Fair at The Commons Center from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Aug. 17. Stop by to get tips on how to minimize waste, recycle and make Move-In as Earth-friendly as possible.
- Boxes: Try packing in reusable totes or suitcases instead of cardboard boxes. If you can’t use reusable totes, consider using recycled cardboard boxes and recycling them when you get to campus.
- Appliances/electronics: If you bring appliances to your dorm or office, make sure they are ENERGY STAR appliances. If you have extra lamps, make sure you use energy efficient LED bulbs.
- Fragile items: Use towels or bedding to wrap fragile items.
- Use Vandy FreeSwap, an online resource for the Vanderbilt community to exchange unwanted items.
- Dorm supplies: Check with family or find reused goods like kitchen supplies, travel mugs, etc., before buying new items.
- Packing materials: If you bring cardboard or Styrofoam onto campus, recycle it all with the VU Cardboard Crew.
- For areas outside of The Ingram Commons, please use the existing recycling containers nearest you and either place boxes in cardboard-recycling containers or flatten and place between the recycling container and a wall.
- See a map of recycling locations across campus and a list of accepted materials here.
For more information about sustainability at Vanderbilt, visit vanderbilt.edu/sustainability.
Contact: Sustainability and Environmental Management Office, (615) 322-9022