On Feb. 22, the Vanderbilt University Police Department was notified of a sexual assault that occurred off campus the evening of Feb. 21 in the area of 15th Avenue South and Horton Avenue.
The victim was approached by the suspect in a parking garage and stated that he had a gun, though the weapon was not observed. The suspect sexually assaulted the victim, then fled the area away from campus in the victim’s vehicle. The vehicle was later found abandoned at a location off campus. Police are actively investigating this incident.
If you have information about this or a similar incident, please call VUPD at 615-322-2745 or MNPD Sex Crimes at 615-862-7540.
This Security Notice is being issued to remind the Vanderbilt community:
- Scan the area before you exit or approach your vehicle or building.
- Have your key ready in hand to quickly access the door of your vehicle or building.
- Stay alert and trust your instincts. If you feel uneasy, leave. Go to a safe location and notify police.
- Avoid isolated and dark areas.
- Report any suspicious persons to police. Be prepared to describe the person as best as you can.
Resources and assistance for students, faculty and staff:
- The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call 615-421-9111, or for non-emergency assistance, call 615-322-2745.
- The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 615-322-SAFE (7233).
- The Title IX and Student Discrimination Office can be reached at 615-343-9004.
- The University Counseling Center can be reached at 615-322-2571.