Security Notice: Sexual assaultSep. 26, 2018, 8:32 PM
On Wednesday, Sept. 26, VUPD received a report from a Campus Security Authority that a female student was sexually assaulted by a male student in a residence hall on Monday, Sept. 24, 2018.
This security notice is being issued to remind the Vanderbilt campus community that:
- Sexual assault does not just occur between strangers.
- Consent must be clear and unambiguous for each participant at every stage of a sexual encounter.
- The absence of “no” should not be understood to mean there is consent.
- A person who is asleep or mentally or physically incapacitated, either through the effects of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.
- Sexual assault is a crime.
Resources and assistance for students, faculty and staff
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call (615) 421-1911, or for non-emergency assistance, call (615) 322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (615) 322-SAFE (7233).
The Title IX and Student Discrimination Office can be reached at (615) 343-9004.
The University Counseling Center can be reached at (615) 322-2571.