NOTE: THE NOMINATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO FEB. 21, 2018.
Nominations are now being sought for the following 2018 Vanderbilt University School of Medicine faculty awards:
- The School of Medicine Awards for Excellence in Teaching
- The School of Medicine Awards for Extraordinary Performance of Clinical Service
- The School of Medicine Awards for Outstanding Contributions to Research
Award recipients are nominated by their faculty colleagues and chosen by the School of Medicine Faculty Awards Selection Committees.
Research Award nominations must be submitted as single PDFs by Feb. 21, 2018, to the VUMC Office of Research, in care of Megan Smallwood at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teaching Award and Clinical Service Award nominations must be submitted as single PDFs by Feb. 21, 2018, to the School of Medicine’s Office of Faculty Affairs, in care of Auda Hutto at email@example.com.
Nomination packages must include:
- A letter of nomination (typically from department chair or center director)
- Three supporting letters from colleagues
- For the School of Medicine Teaching Awards, additional supporting letters from fellows, residents and students (letters from individuals previously trained by the nominee are not required, but are strongly encouraged)
- Nominee’s current CV
The categories of recognition are cycled by even and odd years. For year 2018, the categories and awards of recognition are the following:
Excellence in Teaching (five)
- Robert D. Collins Award – for teaching medical or graduate students or practicing physicians in the lecture setting
- Jacek Hawiger Award – for teaching graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in the classroom, lecture or small group setting
- Denis M. O’Day Award – for team-implemented curriculum reform
- Michael Rodriguez Award – for teaching medical students, residents and/or fellows in the clinical setting
- Elaine Sanders-Bush Award – for mentoring graduate and/or medical students in the research setting
Extraordinary Performance of Clinical Service (three)
- Anderson Spickard, Jr. Award – for clinical excellence in a cognitive discipline
- Mildred T. Stahlman Award – for innovation in clinical care
- John L. Tarpley Award (new in 2018) – for commitment to care of underserved communities
Outstanding Contributions to Research (four)
- Stanley Cohen Award – for research bridging diverse disciplines, such as chemistry or physics, to solve biology’s most important fundamental questions
- John H. Exton Award – for research leading to innovative biological concepts
- Grant W. Liddle Award – for outstanding contributions in clinical research
- Charles R. (Rollo) Park Award – for basic research revealing insights into physiology and pathophysiology
*Please exclude any previous winners, unless you feel they have made substantial new discoveries or contributions. (historical list of award winners found here)