Sleet and snow on Friday, Jan. 12, canceled Vanderbilt classes and gave university staff a rare administrative leave say. Approximately an inch of ice and snow accumulation made for slick sidewalks and driving conditions.
The snow returned overnight Jan. 16, and by the end of Tuesday, more than 2 inches blanketed campus. Frigid temperatures over the next few days kept things frozen.
Essential employees, including many in the Division of Administration, kept the campus running during the winter weather outbreak. Plant Operations’ grounds crew worked diligently to clear parking lots, roads and walkways.
Winter weather by the numbers
- 93,400 pounds of ice melt
- 500 gallons of salt brine for campus roads and parking lots
- 40,000 pounds of fine sand for traction
- 365 overtime hours worked by grounds crew
- 134 overtime hours worked by skilled craftsmen
- Over 200 employees engaged in snow removal