October is Campus Sustainability Month! Join SustainVU in celebrating by attending one of many sustainability-themed events this month, including:
- Screening of documentary film Look and See: A Portrait of Wendell Barry—On Oct. 9 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. in Light Hall 208, attend a screening of the documentary film Look and See: A Portrait of Wendell Berry, followed by a panel discussion. Look and See revolves tells the stories of several residents of Henry County, Kentucky, who face difficult choices that will dramatically reshape their relationship with the land and their communit,y as they deal with the transformation of their agriculture from agrarian to industrial. More information here.
- Commons Unplugged: Green Forum—On Oct. 18 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in The Commons Center 335, join a lecture featuring the English department’s current writer-in-residence, Amanda Little. Little has done extensive reporting on climate change issues, focusing primarily on the environment, energy and technology. More information here.
- Commons Unplugged: Green Fair—On Oct. 19 from 5 to 7 p.m. in The Commons Center Atrium, visit the Green Fair to meet with organizations that make Vanderbilt and Nashville more sustainable. If you or your group is interested in tabling at the Green Fair, please email email@example.com. Tabling display space will be provided to participants at no charge. More information here.
- The Case for Renewable Power in the Southeast: A Seminar—On Oct. 19 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and on Oct. 20 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Law School’s Flynn Auditorium, join others interested in advances in renewable energy in our region. This seminar provides an opportunity to learn about demand for alternative energy in local government and the private sector. Join representatives from Vanderbilt, local governments, businesses and other organizations at this free, two-day workshop. More details here.
- Commons Unplugged: Green Activity—On Oct. 21, first-year students will take part in a recycling sorting activity with their house teams. This event is organized by Students Promoting Environmental Awareness and Responsibility (SPEAR). More information here.
Contact: Sustainability and Environmental Management Office, (615) 322-9022