2017 Greater Nashville Heart Walk takes place Oct. 14by Jessica Pasley Oct. 5, 2017, 9:17 AM
The 2017 Greater Nashville Heart Walk hits the Vanderbilt campus on Saturday, Oct. 14.
It is one of more than 300 American Heart Association (AHA) walks held across the country to raise money and awareness about cardiovascular disease and stroke.
About 9,000 walkers participate every year to raise money to help support public education about heart disease and fund important cardiovascular research.
According to the AHA, the organization has $15,298,976 in active heart disease and stroke research grants in Tennessee with $12,847,194 at Vanderbilt.
Heart disease is the No. 1 cause of death in the United States. Nationwide, an estimated 92.1 million adults have at least one type of cardiovascular disease, which kills someone every 40 seconds.
In the U.S. someone has a stroke every 40 seconds on average, while every 4 minutes someone dies of a stroke.
This year marks the 25th year for the annual fundraiser set to kick off at 8 a.m. with heart-healthy and family-friendly activities.
The 5K, stroller and pet-friendly walk is set for 9:30 a.m., which is 30 minutes earlier than prior years. There is also a 1-mile Survivor Route option.
On Oct. 14, please note the following partial, rolling street closings from 6:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
• Natchez Trace from Children’s Way to West End
• West End from Natchez Trace to 25th Avenue — one lane closure. The street will be open to traffic.
• 25th Avenue from West End to Vanderbilt Place
• Vanderbilt Place from 25th to 24th Avenues
• 24th from Vanderbilt Place to West End
• West End from 24th to 21st Avenues — one lane closure. The street will be open to traffic. There will be bagged meters on West End on the Vanderbilt side of the street.
• 21st Avenue from West End to Children’s Way — one lane closure. The street will be open to traffic.
• Children’s Way from 21st Avenue to Natchez Trace
• Children’s Way will be closed from Natchez Trace to 25th Avenue from 6:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Natchez Trace from Blakemore Avenue to Jess Neely Drive closes at 6:30 a.m.
• Jess Neely from Natchez Trace to 25th Avenue closes at 7:30 a.m.
• Natchez Trace will be closed from Children’s Way to Jess Neely from 8:45 to 11:15 a.m.
Parking is available in Lot 75 (corner of Natchez Trace and Children’s Way) or the West Garage (corner of 25th Avenue and Children’s Way).
To join or donate to a Vanderbilt team please visit http://www.vanderbilthealth.com/teamvanderbilt/ and mark your calendar for upcoming Bank Days: Wednesday, Oct.11, from 11 a.m. to noon in OHO administration room 26119 and Thursday, Oct. 12, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Light Hall North Lobby.