Get your scuba certification at the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness CenterFeb. 28, 2017, 4:32 PM
If you’ve always wanted to learn to scuba dive, discover new adventures, or simply see the world beneath the waves, this is where it starts. This semester the Vanderbilt Recreation and Wellness Center is hosting Scuba Shack’s PADI Open Water Scuba Diving Certification course. The course is open to Vanderbilt University faculty, staff, students and VRWC members.
The PADI Open Water Diver course is the world’s most popular scuba course, and has introduced millions of people to the adventurous diving lifestyle. The course will take place in a VRWC classroom, the VRWC pool, and at local dive sites under the supervision of your PADI instructor.
The PADI Open Water Diver course includes three phases:
- Knowledge Development (classroom at VU + DVD home study): basic principles of scuba diving
- Confined Water Dives (at Vanderbilt): to learn basic scuba skills
- Open Water Dives (at various locations): to review skills and explore; obtain lifetime certification
Course Fee: $450, payment made to Scuba Shack.
Breakdown of the course fee, per participant:
- PADI textbook and materials, plus the PADI Certification Card: $110
- Scuba equipment rental (three pool sessions, two open water sessions), plus air tank fills: $175
- Professional instruction (25 to 28 hours, for classroom, pool and open water sessions: $100
- Quarry entry fees: $40
- Facility use fee: $25
Included: PADI textbook and all materials; professional instruction; use of scuba gear for pool training and open water training; PADI Open Water Certification Card; and open water dive site admittance fees (quarry).
Not Included: Personal student gear (mask, fins, snorkel, boots); Scuba Shack offers special package pricing for this gear for all students registered for the course.
NEXT COURSE DATES AND TIMES:
Note: Open water training dives TBD—local quarry (other options will also be available)
- Wednesday, March 22: VRWC conference room 1, from 6 to 8 p.m., plus pool lane 1 for a swim test (30 minutes)
- Friday, March 24: VRWC pool lanes 2–3, from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 29: VRWC conference room 1, from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Friday, March 31: VRWC pool lanes 2–3, from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 5: VRWC conference room 1, from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Friday, April 7: VRWC pool lanes 2–3, from 5 to 8 p.m.
Contact: Ken Charnock, Scuba Shack, (980) 875-1255