SECURITY NOTICE: Sexual assault on campusDec. 5, 2016, 8:00 PM
On Dec. 5, a female student reported to a Campus Security Authority that she was sexually assaulted by a male student at an undisclosed location on campus on Dec. 2.
This Security Notice is being issued to remind students that:
- Sexual assault does not just occur between strangers.
- Consent must be clear and unambiguous for each participant at every stage of a sexual encounter.
- The absence of “no” should not be understood to mean there is consent.
- A person who is asleep or mentally or physically incapacitated, either through the effects of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.
- Sexual assault is a crime.
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call (615) 421-1911, or for non-emergency assistance, call (615) 322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (615) 322-SAFE (7233).
The Psychological and Counseling Center offers support and resources as well. They can be reached at (615) 322-2571.