SECURITY NOTICE: Sexual assault on campusNov. 18, 2016, 4:33 PM
Additionally, on Nov. 14, 2016, a female student reported to a Campus Security authority that she experienced nonconsensual sexual contact by a male student in a residence hall on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2016.
This security notice is being issued to remind students that:
- Sexual assault does not just occur between strangers.
- Consent must be clear and unambiguous for each participant at every stage of a sexual encounter.
- The absence of “no” should not be understood to mean there is consent.
- A person who is asleep or mentally or physically incapacitated, either through the effect of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.
- Sexual assault is a crime.
The Vanderbilt University Police Department is available to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you need emergency assistance, call (615) 421-1911. For non-emergency assistance, call (615) 322-2745.
The Project Safe Center offers a support line 24 hours a day, seven days a week at (615) 322-SAFE (7233).
The Psychological and Counseling Center (PCC) offers support and resources as well. They can be reached at (615) 322-2571.