From: MyVU [myvu@VANDERBILT.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 8:18 AM
To: VANDERBILT-FACULTYSTAFF@LIST.VANDERBILT.EDU
Subject: myVU Preview Nov. 12: VUMC & uncompensated care, New research Web site, Research projects funded by stimulus
myvu preview myVUVanderbilt
Thursday - November 12, 2009 submit a story idea »

Organ Match artWeb site matches research volunteers with studies

People who would like to participate in research studies now can connect with researchers throughout the country by joining a first of its kind, on-line “matching system,” ResearchMatch.org.

Lawrence J. SchaadMemorial service for Lawrence J. Schaad, longtime chemistry professor, is Nov. 17

A Vanderbilt memorial service will be held at 11:45 a.m. in Benton Chapel on Tuesday, Nov. 17, for Lawrence J. Schaad, professor of chemistry, emeritus. He died last week at 79 after a long illness.

Uncompensated CareVUMC bears brunt of uncompensated care burden

VUMC provided $228,135,792 worth of uncompensated care during fiscal year 2008.

recovery actFederal stimulus funds bolster Vanderbilt’s research enterprise

Vanderbilt scientists have received 182 federal “stimulus” grants totaling more than $79 million.

School Choice logoSchool choice and improvements topics of online chat Nov. 17

Education experts will discuss education issues during a free, online chat, “School Choice & School Improvement: What have we learned?” hosted by the National Center on School Choice at Vanderbilt University and Education Week Nov. 17 at 2 p.m. ET.

Conte Class Visit smallFirst Lady Andre Conte hosts Peabody discussion of women in leadership

Peabody Leadership, Policy and Organizations graduate students demonstrated their own leadership in responding to a recent class assignment. Seeking to organize a panel of women leaders in Nashville, they contacted Tennessee’s First Lady Conte seeking her participation. Not only did Conte accept, she offered to host the event in the new Conservation Hall at the Governor’s Residence on S. Curtiswood Lane in Nashville.

pediatric clinicsTwo Children’s Hospital pediatric clinics move to One Hundred Oaks

The Pediatric Allergy Clinic and the Adolescent Medicine Clinic are now seeing patients in their new offices.

study abroadCelebrate International Education Week: Opening Dores to our Global Society Nov. 12-19

A series of lectures, films, fairs and discussions open to faculty and staff.

Kids in CoatsDonate a winter coat for a child at Kentucky game

Fans attending the Nov. 14 Vanderbilt-Kentucky football game are encouraged to consider helping the annual “Coats for the Counties” project.

more info and top stories »

*  This Week

Nov. 12: Salute to Our Veterans

Nov. 12: “Simple Complexity: Complex Simplicity” Exhibit Opening Reception

Nov. 12: Film: “Flying On One Engine”

Nov. 13: The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care

Nov. 13: “Bollywood’s India” – Professor Rachel Dwyer Talk

Nov. 16: Transgender Day of Remembrance

Nov. 17: Take Back the Night

Nov. 19: Dean’s Lecture Series – Dr. Stephen Bergman / Discovery Lecture Series – Tyler Jacks

Nov. 19: “The Translator-Practitioner’s Visibility? Lope de Vega and Garcia Lorca in English.” David Johnston

* Mark Your Calendars

Dec. 1: 2009 World AIDS Day Keynote Address – Senator Bill Frist

more events »

Sign Up for a Clinical Trial

Pre-Eclampsia and Related Markers Study

WORLD: Working On Rapid Language Development Research Study

classifieds

facebook  twitter  youtube  itunes  feed

Announcements

Memorial for Peabody staff member Judy Piner Nov. 16

Help make campus safer Nov. 17

Stroke symposium and screening Nov. 14

Exercise Motivation Class starts Nov. 18

Free parking at The Parking Spot

Geographic Information Systems day Nov. 18

Maintain your weight this holiday season with Hold the Stuffing!

more announcements »

Featured Media

space station

Watch: Life on the International Space Station

Listen: Improvisational art event evokes memories of 1960s

more media »

Tune in to VUCast, for audio and video of events happening around campus. You can also find VU podcasts on iTunes and VU videos on YouTube.

From the Reporter: Mentor program unites VUMC faculty with new students

Mentor ProgramBefore “one Vanderbilt” became a common phrase on campus, the University’s Commons campus area was using the concept to maximize resources available to new students through Vanderbilt Visions and Faculty Associates to the Houses.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center personnel have been increasingly active in the initiative as VUceptors, or volunteer faculty mentors. Commons administrators say mentorship and faculty-student interaction is at the core of the programs, which helps transition freshmen from high school life to life as a Vanderbilt undergraduate student.

From VUCommodores.com: Dennis Harrison recalls career

Dennis HarrisonDennis Harrison knows what it is like to become an All-SEC, All-Pro football player and appear in the Super Bowl. The former Vanderbilt defensive lineman was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1956 and moved to Murfreesboro, Tenn., when he was in the third grade. Harrison began playing football in middle school. When Murfreesboro Central was divided into Riverdale and Oakland High Schools, Harrison attended Riverdale.

“I think we won two games the first year I was at Riverdale and we were 5-5 my senior year,” Harrison said recently. “I started as a junior and senior and played defensive end, tight end and kicker. I also wrestled and was on the track team.

“All the SEC and OVC schools recruited me for football. I liked Coach (Steve) Sloan at Vanderbilt and I always wanted to be a teacher and a coach. At that time George Peabody School for Teachers was one of the most renowned colleges for teachers in the United States. That helped persuade me to play football at Vanderbilt. My second choice at the time was Kentucky. Alabama and Tennessee also recruited me, but I did not think I would fit into their programs.”

contact us   |   submit a story   |   submit a classified ad
myVU Preview provides top news and information each week for
faculty and staff of Vanderbilt University.