From: MyVU [myvu@VANDERBILT.EDU]
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2009 8:16 AM
To: MYVU@LIST.VANDERBILT.EDU
Subject: myVU Preview Dec. 14; New Commencement Web site, Important Turkey Giveaway information

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser instead.

myvu preview myVUVanderbilt
Monday - December 14, 2009 submit a story idea »

Commencement Web site smCommencement has a new Web site

The site features a new look and more information than ever before about the university’s three days of Commencement activities.

TUrkeyTurkey Giveaway shuttle, traffic and parking information

No parking or drop off will be allowed at Medical Center Drive turnaround for any reason from 6 a.m. until midnight on Friday, Dec. 18, except for mobility impaired employees or visitors.

Holiday Greening GuideGreat tips for an eco-friendly holiday season

If you want to make your holidays greener, check out the tips in the Holiday Greening Guide available from SustainVU.

Karen HughartFour honored with VUMC Credo Awards

Recipients of the Credo Award and Five Pillar Leader Award are named every three months.

recycleDeadline for Holiday Recyclathon is Dec. 16

Help make the holidays better for someone by donating gently used clothing and household linens.

Gingerbread competition Winners smTeam Sticky Fingers wins gingerbread house competition

The competition is part of the annual Hanging of the Green celebration at Peabody.

more info and top stories »

*  This Week

Dec. 14, 15 & 30: Adult Weight Management Program – Free Orientation Sessions

Dec. 14: Curb Youth Symphony Winter Concert

Dec.15: Nashville Youth Repertory and Suzuki Reading Orchestras Performance

Dec. 16: Holiday Presence! Mindful Change: New Year Resolutions

Dec. 17:  ”Tis the Season for Keeping Your Sanity”

Dec. 18: DigitalVU Meeting

* Mark Your Calendars

Dec. 19-20: VU Men’s & Women’s Basketball vs. Tennessee State

Dec. 21-23 & Dec. 28-31:  Holiday CampVandy

more events »

Sign Up for a Clinical Trial

Healthy Volunteers Needed for Reseach Study

classifieds

facebook  twitter  youtube  itunes  feed

Announcements

Deadline is approaching to RSVP for international shipping seminar

Get Control of Your Cash Flow in 2010; workshop Dec. 17

Blood drive, organ donor registration, and bone marrow registration Dec. 21

Provence Breads & Cafe gives VU employees a holiday discount

Save $$$ on meeting space in Chattanooga

more announcements »

Featured Media

VUCAST121109

Watch: VUCast: A first for Disney, Rock Band Vandy-style, and who was that dancing with ‘The Boss’?

more media »

Tune in to VUCast, for audio and video of events happening around campus. You can also find VU podcasts on iTunes and VU videos on YouTube.

From House Organ: LifeFlight pilot, nurse honored for 5,000 flights

LifeFlight 5000Since its first flight in 1984, Vanderbilt LifeFlight has logged more than 33,000 patient transports. Five thousand of those belong to just two men – Billy Hamblin and Tom Grubbs.

Hamblin, a pilot, flew on LifeFlight’s first mission, and Grubbs, and flight nurse, joined the program six months later.

“I have a standard,” said John Morris, M.D., director of the Division of Trauma and Surgical Critical Care. “It is the ‘Who can take care of me when I’m sick?’ standard. I want Billy Hamblin in the front driving, and I want Tom Grubbs in the back taking care of me.”

For their service to the program, Hamblin and Grubbs received the 2009 Ross Award, which highlights individuals who have made remarkable contributions to LifeFlight and the community. This is the first time anyone within LifeFlight has received the award, which honors Joseph Ross, M.D., associate vice chancellor for Health Affairs, emeritus, who helped establish Vanderbilt LifeFlight.

contact us   |   submit a story   |   submit a classified ad
myVU Preview provides top news and information each week for
faculty and staff of Vanderbilt University.