From: MyVU [myvu@VANDERBILT.EDU]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2010 9:31 AM
To: VANDERBILT-FACULTYSTAFF@LIST.VANDERBILT.EDU
Subject: MyVU Preview June 7, 2010

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser or view the text version.

myvu preview myVUVanderbilt
Monday - June 7, 2010 submit a story idea »

Renovations make Women’s Center more accessible, add program space

Smiling in the mid-afternoon sun and wearing bright pink construction hats, Margaret Cuninggim Women’s Center staff broke ground on renovations to their home on West Side Row.

Dores still in NCAA tournament after win over Louisville

For the second straight year, the Commodores (44-18) will force a second championship game against the Cardinals (50-13) Monday night at 5 p.m. CT/ 6 p.m. ET.

OGSM Accelerator Summer Business Institute puts power in hands of artists

When an artist pens a song or takes a one-of-a-kind photograph, protecting his or her creative property is essential, but not always easy. Now they’re turning to students from the Vanderbilt Accelerator Summer Business Institute to create a viral marketing strategy to help artists learn about their new product.

Vanderbilt/UT-K collaboration focuses on Latin American studies in high school

Teachers from a variety of Tennessee and North Carolina high schools and universities will explore ways to use Latin American films and documentaries as part of the classroom curriculum during a June 6-11 institute co-sponsored by Vanderbilt and the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

Escape to nature and space; Dyer Observatory offering discount on facility rental to employees

Vanderbilt’s Dyer Observatory offers a celestial escape for all ages, and now Vanderbilt employees can save 10 percent off the price of facility rental.

more info and top stories »

*  This Week

June 7: Israeli Folk Dancing

June 8: State of Nursing Address

June 10: Outdoor Rec summer trip registration – canoeing and kayaking

June 11: Nurses Week Awards and Recognition Ceremony

June 11: Fine Arts Gallery Opening Reception – Five Centuries of Drawing and American Art

* Mark Your Calendars

June 16-18: The NIMH Annual International Research Conference – Role of Families in Preventing and Adapting to HIV/AIDS

June 19: Bluebird on the Mountain at Dyer Observatory

more events »

Sign Up for a Clinical Trial

classifieds

facebook  twitter  youtube  itunes  feed

Announcements

Nashville Outlaws hosting VU employees night June 8-13

Those who don’t change ePassword will be locked out June 15

What’s in season at the Vanderbilt Farmers’ Market?

New Health and Wellness Wellcast: Dealing with mold problems after a flood

more announcements »

Featured Media

Watch: Flood, Sweat and Tears: VUCast

Some Vanderbilt staffers are still picking up the pieces after Nashville’s record flood.

more media »

Tune in to VUCast, for audio and video of events happening around campus. You can also find VU podcasts on iTunes and VU videos on YouTube.

FROM HOUSE ORGAN: Flood, Sweat and Tears, tales from the deluge

Arthur Lawson, an environmental tech at the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, relies on Metro’s bus service to get to work from his home near Historic Edgefield in East Nashville.
Due to flooding in the basement of Children’s Hospital on May 2, he was called in to work early to help clean up the mess.
He walked the three blocks to his bus stop but the bus never came.

“I thought, I’m in trouble,” Lawson said. “I called and said I’m running late but that I would be there. I just started walking.”

contact us   |   submit a story   |   submit a classified ad
myVU Preview provides top news and information each week for
faculty and staff of Vanderbilt University.