A&S senior to represent Vanderbilt in ‘Jeopardy!’ College Championship
by Kara Furlong | Posted on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014 — 3:10 PM
Senior Eric Turner (back row, second from left) is among 15 university students from across the country competing in the 2014 "Jeopardy!" College Championship. (image courtesy of Jeopardy Productions, Inc.)
Eric Turner, a College of Arts and Science senior from Huntsville, Ala., will represent Vanderbilt in the 2014 Jeopardy! College Championship Feb. 10-21. Turner, who is majoring in neuroscience and history, is one of 15 students from universities across the United States competing for $100,000 and an automatic berth in the next Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions.
To qualify for the College Championship, contestants had to complete a 50-question online test, and those who passed were selected at random to attend regional in-person auditions consisting of a second 50-question test, mock game play and a brief interview.
The complete contestant field is as follows:
- Laurie Beckoff, a sophomore at the University of Chicago (Chicago, Ill.), originally from Hollis Hills, N.Y.;
- Kenesha Bennett, a senior at Oakwood University (Huntsville, Ala.), originally from Huntsville, Ala.;
- Julia Clark, a senior at Harvard University (Cambridge, Mass.), originally from Saskatoon, SK, Canada;
- James Fulwiler, a junior at Temple University (Philadelphia, Pa.), originally from Baltimore, Md.;
- Ben Juster, a senior at the University of California–Los Angeles (Los Angeles, Calif.), originally from Woodland Hills, Calif.;
- Maria Khrakovsky, a senior at Ohio State University (Columbus, Ohio), originally from Columbus, Ohio;
- Cameron Kim, a senior at Duke University (Durham, N.C.), originally from Riverview, Fla.;
- Terry O’Shea, a sophomore at Princeton University (Princeton, N.J.), originally from Bridgewater, N.J.;
- Tucker Pope, a sophomore at Texas A&M University (College Station, Texas), originally from Lubbock, Texas;
- Kevin Shen, a junior at the University of California–Berkeley (Berkeley, Calif.), originally from San Jose, Calif.;
- Erika Sloan, a sophomore at Middlebury College (Middlebury, Vt.), originally from Simsbury, Conn.;
- Sarah Stevens, a sophomore at the University of Delaware (Newark, Del.), originally from Dover, Del.;
- Alex Sventeckis, a senior at Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.), originally from Fishers, Ind.;
- Whitney Thompson, a junior at the University of Oklahoma (Norman, Okla.), originally from Tulsa, Okla.; and
- Eric Turner, a senior at Vanderbilt University (Nashville, Tenn.), originally from Huntsville, Ala.
“The College Championship is one of the most competitive tournaments on our schedule,” said Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek in a press release. “Every Jeopardy! contestant plays to win, but our college contestants have an added level of motivation: school pride. Every one of them wants to represent their college well, and this extra motivation makes for fun and exciting game play.”
Jeopardy! airs locally at 6 p.m. weekdays on WUXP-TV. For air times and stations nationwide, visit the show’s website.
Kara Furlong, (615) 322-NEWS