Protect yourself from norovirus
Feb. 14, 2013, 9:12 AM
The Tennessee Department of Health is investigating multiple outbreaks of norovirus across the region. Norovirus is a highly contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea.
To keep your family and coworkers safe, practice these simple precautions:
- Wash hands with soap and water after using the toilet or changing diapers and before eating or handling food.
- Wash fruits and vegetables and cook seafood thoroughly.
- If you are sick, do not prepare food or provide health care for others for 48 hours after your symptoms have resolved.
- If a family member or coworker has been sick with vomiting or diarrhea, wipe down any surfaces they touched with a bleach-based cleaner.
- Keep breakroom refrigerators clean, and discard leftover food after 48 hours.
More information on norovirus is available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Contact: Occupational Health Clinic, (615) 936-0955